Saturday, August 2, 2014

Day 112 (Saturday, August 2nd) - Unionville, N.Y. to Vernon, N.J. Rte. 94

Today's Miles: 11.80
Trip Miles: 1352.90

Flowers to welcome me back
My first day back after time off to clear up the infection on my left foot; ten days was too long a
break. I'm more apprehensive now than I was when I first started. That's probably because I had no idea what to expect at Springer Mt. Now I know the effort it's going to take. To add to that, I feel lost without my trail family close by. Very lonely.

The trail was kind to me today. Lots of flat, lots of grass, and just a few rocks for the full ten miles. I only saw two other thrus today; a young couple taking their time enjoying the scenery at the Wallkill Reserve. I saw more Great Blue Herons in the Wallkill than I've ever seen in one place before. They were camera shy though, flying off whenever I got close enough for a picture.

Boardwalk over the swamp
Further on, at Pochuck Creek, there was a boardwalk over a swampy but beautiful area that went on for quite a while. There were lots of day-hikers and families there. At the end of the boardwalk was another of the suspension footbridges that I like.

I wasn't sure where to camp and actually tried to begin my tour of Mid-Atlantic hotels, but there was no room to be had. I moved up the trail toward the sound of Bluegrass music in the distance. I could hear it from a long way off and wasn't sure what I'd find up ahead. I came, at last, to an open field that ran across the bottom of a tall rock faced mountain. There were cars parked in one area and tents and RVs set up around the field. Backed up to the trees was a stage under a large tent where a band was playing. It turned out that the man who owned the field, Jamie, held music festivals there on summer week-ends. He invited me to camp there free of charge. I got to listen to some good music, met some nice people who were interested in my hike, and set up my tent for the night. Thanks to Jamie, Jim, Jay, and Clara for their kindness.

The bands played until eleven, then everyone sat around a fire pit and sang, smoked, and drank until four in the morning. Not much rest for this tired hiker, but an interesting experience just the same.
It rained through the night [which didn't deter the singing] and more is expected over the next few days. I hope their prediction is wrong.

Ta.  

A kind trail
Boardwalk
Footbridge
Pochuck Creek
View through the trees
Sunset

No comments :

Post a Comment