Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Day 136 (Tuesday, August 26th) - Governor Clement Shelter to the Inn at Long Trail

Today's Miles: 12.50
Trip Miles: 1698.90

Killington trail marker
I didn't go too far today. The last part of the climb up to Killington Peak was a scramble. Only two
 tenths of a mile from the Cooper Lodge Shelter after the four miles of steady rise that got you there. I should have left my pack at the shelter for that part of the climb, but there were incredible views and the hike down wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

The hike from there to Rte. 4 was varied. Mud, rock, highs and lows, and it seemed to go on forever. I think I should have eaten more this morning; very low energy. I thought I'd make it to the road by 12 or 12:30, but I didn't get there until after 2. I tried for half an hour to catch a ride to the Inn. It was just a mile down the road, but it was an uphill grade and I just didn't feel like hiking that mile on the road. I could imagine having to walk back here later so, using hiker logic, I decided instead to hike two miles over a small mountain to a side trail that led to the Inn. I would rather walk two miles off trail than two that don't count. Again a trail of ups, downs, rock and mud.

When I got to the Inn I decided to stay. It was short money and there were a lot of hikers here to talk and share a few laughs with. Gregg, Rabbit, and Jason were all here and a bunch of people I didn't know. I had a Guinness Beef stew, a Bleu Cheese Burger, and a nice salad. Took a shower, charged my phone, and went back downstairs to hang out with everyone. Had a few beers and went up to bed. Breakfast comes with the room so I'll load up tomorrow, hit a town for sandwich stuff and junk food and try to calorie up so I'm not so tired.

TTFN
Dr. Suess tree
Hamburger buns
Quiet; the trees have ears
Selfie on Killington
Self timer on Killington
Psssst, over there

No comments :

Post a Comment