Friday, August 15, 2014

Day 125 (Friday, August 15th) - Tyringham to Kay Wood Shelter

Today's Miles: 24.50
Trip Miles: 1562.20


If I tried to express my feelings about Mike leaving the trail, I'd never get to the hike itself. I'll address the emotional side of the day later in Trail Notes.

Mike and Natalie dropped me off at the Tyringham trail head at 8:30. There was a lot of boggy terrain today and an abundance of rock strewn paths. There were a few climbs, but nothing remarkable. It was a long day, 24.5 miles.

The only relief from hiking came at Washington Mountain Road where the "Cookie Lady" lives. Just a hundred yards from the trail is a house with a barn, a shed, and a large attached garage. There are blueberry bushes growing beside the gravel drive where you can "pick your own" for a small fee. There were three north bounders in the yard and they told me to go into the garage and knock on the door. When I did the "Cookie Lady" came out with a couple of homemade cookies and I asked if I could buy a couple of cold drinks. She said sure, that she had lemonade and coke. I got two lemonades and went out to join the other hikers.

A fourth NOBO, a young woman hiking with one of the guys already there had come into the yard. We talked for a while, with them saying they were pushing on to Dalton. I was already tired and decided to go to the next shelter. They were the first NOBOs I had seen all day.

When I got to the Kay Wood Shelter there were some day hikers, a SOBO, two NOBOs [Zip Lock and Rock Man] and one of the guys from the "Cookie Lady" came in late, Rabbit.

Sorry, this isn't much of an entry; I'm just not in the mood.

Night  

Finerty Pond
I think there may be a beaver around here
Mass Pike I-90
Mohhekennuck Club marker

1 comment :