Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Day 115 (Tuesday, August 5th) - Fingerboard Shelter to Fort Montgomery


Today's Miles: 15.40
Trip Miles: 1399.70


Hot and humid today. All of the male hikers I saw today were shirtless. The only female I saw was in a strappy t-shirt; just too hot. The hike was nice though over some ridges with views of the Hudson River and just faintly in the distance the NY City skyline.

At the Bear Mountain Perkins Memorial I met Whistler and his daughter, Sunshine; two NOBOs who made it to Pennsylvania where Whistler blew out his knee. They're from Peekskill, N.Y. and are doing Trail Magic now. Even though I was heading into town they offered me some homemade brownies and cold beer. Thanks for the Magic!

All day I passed only five SOBOs. They all told me there was a bubble of NOBOs just ahead of me, but I never caught them.

This part of the trail goes through a zoo and the lowest point on the trail is at the bear den. I always wanted to see this part of the trail, but the zoo closed before I got there. There was a bypass that went around the zoo and led, eventually, into Fort Montgomery. I was lucky and got picked up by some folks on their way out for a hike. They dropped me off at the motel. Thanks, guys.

I had decided to stay the night in town to clean up my foot and to make sure I could go through the zoo tomorrow which opens at ten. Thanks once again to the Administrator who booked me into the Holiday Inn Express.

While I was at the motel I met a young man who asked if I was thru-hiking. When I said yes he introduced himself as Reckless, Class of 2007 and a triple crowner. That means he's hiked the AT, the PCT, and the CDT. We talked about my hike and he encouraged me to continue. I've been concerned about the lost time due to the infection and he laughed and said when he hiked the AT he had 45 zeroes. 45 days off the trail over the course of his hike. He told me not to worry about taking time off when I need to and to relax and enjoy the hike more. Thanks for the boost, Reckless.
Had diner at the BBQ place next door and spoke with some kids who were delivering books to West Point. I went back to the motel, enjoyed the pool and headed in to bed.

Night All.  

Morning at Fingerboard Shelter
Dappled light
Rocky path
Stone steps
Perkins Memorial Tower, Bear Mountain
View from the tower
Hudson River



No comments :

Post a Comment