Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Day 130 (Wednesday, August 20th) - Stratton/Arlington Road to Vt. 11/30

Today's Miles: 17.50
Trip Miles: 1647.20


Heart stone for Amy
When I woke up, though the knees were stiff and sore, I was sure I could make it to Vt. 11/30. After the climb up Stratton the terrain looked pretty good and I figured it would be a lot easier to get a ride from there than from here. The three boys left early for the Green Mountain House and I rummaged around until 8, giving the ibuprofen a chance to kick in. By this time I had decided that I'd need to take some time off so I called Amy who said she'd pick me up after work. It was going to take me all day to go the 17 miles so that made sense. I sent a text to Mike and asked if he could come out and save Amy the trip. I said I'd call later.

The climb up Stratton was fairly easy; a nice gradual slope for the most part. There was a nice fire tower on the summit and I couldn't pass up the view. I used the railings to carry my weight and was rewarded with some beautiful scenery. There were decals on the windows that described what you were looking at which I loved. So many times you're guessing at which peak is which. I had some food and a drink and sent Mike a text again. He said he'd meet me at the road. I called Amy and told her she didn't have to make the drive, she was happy to hear that. Thanks Mike!

The rest of the hike couldn't have been better. Nice trails, not too much mud and only a few small climbs and descents. Not many people out here today and no one that I knew.

I got to the road earlier than I thought both because of the terrain and because the knee held up well with the bandaging. I'm still taking some time off; no more pushing through things.

Mike got there shortly after me. We packed the gear and headed home.

TTFN

Stratton Mountain; Cradle of the Appalachian and Long Trails
Fire tower on Stratton
Man-made spiderweb
Caretaker's shack
View from the fire tower 
Monadnock, way off
500 mph duck crash
Jean & Hugh, trail maintenance
Loon 
Shrooms
Steppin' stones

No comments :

Post a Comment