Sunday, August 24, 2014

Day 134 (Sunday, August 24th) - Mad Tom Notch to Greenwell Shelter

Sunshiny Day
Today's Miles: 19.10
Trip Miles: 1671.80


Things went much better today. First of all, there was sunshine which makes even a bad day good. Second, I adjusted my knee brace and it was much more effective. I spoke to the Administrator and told her the knee was fine and not to bother about getting me the stove and pot. I'll do without until I see her on the weekend.

I had hoped to hike to Danby/Landgrove Road and hitch into town for some cold food resupply, but when I got there it wasn't much of a road so I just hiked on. The trail was extremely muddy and there where lots of slips, but no falls. All kinds of springs, ponds and streams along here.

On the way to Danby I had met Atlas [from Montreal] and Camille who were with CB. A little further down the trail I met Yellow Beard. He hiked with me until Baxter Peak [it was loaded with kids out for a couple of days of hiking] where he stayed to wait for CB. When I went by Little Rock Pond there were kids jumping from the rocks on the other side. It looked like something my son Joe would like. Maybe a twenty to thirty foot leap into the pond. From there I went over a pretty significant but unnamed mountain [unnamed in the guide anyway] to White Cliffs View. There were some cool stacked rocks at two places along the trail. Rock art; fascinating stuff.

I checked out the view at White Cliff and then moved on to the shelter. I met a Long Trail hiker there named Fly Rod [Gregg]. He teaches ROTC at Norwich and Dartmouth. Chewbacca came in later, a hiker I had heard of, but had not met. It was a nice shelter area and it had a new privy with a deck. I don't know who would want to sit out on a privy deck, but whatever.

I set up away from the shelter a bit and settled in. Good Night.

Cherry Blossom, Atlas, and Camille
Vermont: water, water everywhere
Bear's Head Tooth mushroom - Hericium americanum
Half-log path
Katahdin to Springer
Modern art in the middle of the woods
Modern art rocks
Modern art rocks 
Styles Mountain, looking east
View from Baxter Peak
More Baxter Peak views

No comments :

Post a Comment