Monday, August 4, 2014

Day 114 (Monday, August 4th) - Greenwood Lake, N.Y. to Fingerboard Shelter

Today's Miles: 16.40
Trip Miles: 1384.30


I began after having breakfast with my remarkable wife. She dropped me off at the trail-head at 9:30. I was still unsure how things would go. Lots of anxiety. The new bandaging on my feet and some ibuprofen seemed to help with the pain though.

Over NY State Thruway 87
I wanted to take my daughter Erin's advice and hike less miles, but in N.Y. they want you to camp at designated sites [and I was hoping for some company at night] so I slowed my pace instead.
It was 16.4 to the next shelter. The hike was pretty nice. It covered rocky ridges, easy terrain beside a lake and wide trails through almost manicured forests. A very enjoyable day. It's amazing how quickly your mood can turn out here. I was miserable yesterday and today was one of the best I've had. I especially liked the area at Island Pond. The deer there were nearly tame and practically walk up to you. The views were beautiful and I took time there to watch some people fishing out on the lake.   

There was a section a little further on from the pond called the Lemon Squeezer. It was fun, I only wished M and N were there to share the experience with me. I did have some luck in that regard. I met Gabe Gabeler and his pup out for a short hike. We talked about the AT and Gabe made sure I got through the Lemon Squeeze safely. Thanks Gabe!

Besides Gabe, I saw only two other hikers; south bounders and their dog doing a section. That was it, not another soul for 16 miles when I met Gabe. I missed having people around that I'm familiar with. It's nice to know that someone is behind you if you have a problem or that those ahead of you will miss you if you don't show up.

I had heard from the SOBO's that there were people at the pond, but they were gone by the time I got there. I thought they might be at the Fingerboard Shelter. Again I was wrong and I found it empty. I set my tent up inside to keep the bugs away, made something to eat, called home, and then settled in to sleep.

Night

P.S. When I spoke to Mike, he was in Kent, Ct. He said he was heading home for a few days with bad blistering on his heels. I hope I can make up some of the 80 miles while he's off trail.

Island Pond
Deer
The Lemon Squeezer
Part of the Lemon Squeezer
Stone steps
Fingerboard Shelter
Ready for bed

No comments :

Post a Comment