Friday, August 8, 2014

Day 118 (Friday, August 8th) - Morgan Stewart Shelter to Bulls Bridge Road

Today's Miles: 21.90
Trip Miles: 1455.80


Stile and silo
The plan was to hike into Gaylordsville to meet Amy. I got there early and one of the south bound section hikers I had met two days ago was driving by. He stopped and offered me a ride to town. When we got there, we saw that it was a quiet little town with nowhere to hang out until Amy got there, so he took me back to the trail. He had hiked the next section just a few days ago and he said it was a pretty easy hike over a small rise to Bulls Bridge Road where there was a tavern, so I kept going. Thanks for the ride!

Earlier in the day I had hiked around Nuclear Lake. It had been the site of a private firm working with bomb grade plutonium. After a leak there, the plant was shut down and they took the land to create a recreation area. Only in America. I know they've cleaned it up, but it's a little disconcerting.

Later there was a long boardwalk over a swampy, reed covered area. The reeds were over six feet high. It was a nice walk through there with some benches to sit on and two wooden chairs, one marked Maine and one Georgia. The boardwalk ended at the Appalachian Trail Railroad Station. I got some trail magic there from a commuter rail worker. Thanks for the water and snacks!

Footbridge near Poughquag, NY
There were other north bounders there. People other than those I met yesterday. We didn't talk much and I headed out for Bulls Bridge while they went to a store near the RR Station. I went up through another section of farmland which I always like. A bit of a climb, then an easy descent to the Ten Mile River Shelter and shortly after, Bulls Bridge Road.

A one lane road through a beautiful covered bridge led me to the Bulls Bridge Inn. What a nice, hiker-friendly place. I thought, when I first got there, that maybe they'd be a bit too high class for my smelly old self, but they couldn't have been nicer. They showed me where I could stow my bag and where I could plug in my phone. I said I might be around for awhile waiting for Amy and they said no problem. I got myself a Long Trail and something to eat [and a couple more Long Trails] and waited for Amy to get me. A zero tomorrow then back to the trail. Life is good

Bye For Now.  

The boardwalk
Boardwalk chair; Georgia
Boardwalk chair; Maine
High grasses along the boardwalk 
Cool bridge support 
Dover Oak, Pawling, NY; over 300 years old, and 20+ feet in circumference
Entering CT
Nice note 
Stone walls remind me of home

No comments :

Post a Comment