Thursday, August 28, 2014

Day 138 (Thursday, August 28th) - The Lookout to Vt. 14 West Hartford Vt.

Today's Miles: 19.00
Trip Miles: 1733.30


I woke up early and went up on the platform with Grub Nugget to watch the sunrise. A bit cool up there in the breeze, but I got some nice pics. Had a little breakfast, and headed out.

There were supposed to be a few places along the way today to get some food, but it turned out that of the three places, only one really had anything. It was a place called "The Edge of the Road Farm" on Vt. 12. I met Rock Man, who had left before me, down by the road and we walked to the store. A locally owed place with homemade pies still warm from the oven. We each bought one and ate them right there; absolutely delicious! He then bought another to take back to Zip Lock who was hiking behind us. The lady at the store told us the other two places were either closed or had limited supply, so Rock Man decided to walk back for more food. I moved on with what I had.

Along the way I met a lot of SOBOs and they all told me about a couple who lived at White River in West Hartford. They let you stay in their barn and fed you breakfast. It sounded good to me so I headed there.

It was another roller coaster day; lots of little ups and downs. I got to Vt.14 at about 5 and saw Knots and Top Notch who told me to go to the house to the right of the trail. Grub Nugget was on the porch and he told me to go in and say hello to Linda. Linda and Randy own the house and welcome hikers in for whatever donation you can afford. Linda was cooking up some sausage and summer squash and told me to make myself at home. I put my gear out in the barn and went back to eat. A real home-style supper with everyone around the bar in the kitchen.

After dinner Linda drove a couple of the guys to town to pick up some chips and beer, then we all settled in the barn to watch a little TV and shoot the breeze.

Thanks, Linda and Randy!
Greylock, with maybe the monument
Chewy Chewbacca
"When in doubt, the AT always goes up"
Stone wall
Bear's Tooth, young
Top Notch and Knots
Dingo Sean from Cincinnati
Hungry Horse, Palmyra, PA


No comments :

Post a Comment