Thursday, August 7, 2014

Day 117 (Thursday, August 7th) - Stealth camp to Morgan Stewart Shelter

Today's Miles: 21.90
Trip Miles: 1433.90


This would've helped after lunch
21.9 miles if you don't count the side trips for food or the south bound journey I made because I lack a sense of direction. Yup, I finally did it. I joined the ranks of those who have gotten turned around on the AT and hiked in the wrong direction. No excuses, just a dope. Luckily I spotted a painted stone on the side of the trail that had caught my eye as I headed north earlier. If not for that stone I'd be back in New Jersey by now.

It happened when I stopped for something to eat at the mountain deli about a half mile east of the trail. I had a nice sandwich, met a bunch of NOBOs (the first group since I restarted) and headed back to hike. I was thinking that if I hurried I could get to the shelter at a decent hour so I plunged into the woods all gung ho. When I realized my error all I could do was laugh. What a dope.

I hightailed it back north, caught the group of hikers I'd met earlier and got to the shelter just before dark. One of the hikers I met is called Rote Mann (red man) who is from Essen, Germany. He knew of Andi and Yvanna and we chatted for quite a while. The others were a trail family. I don't recall all their names, but there was one called Lobster (it was his birthday) and a young woman from MA. called Good and Plenty. We all ended up at the same shelter.

The day's hike was uneventful otherwise. A stop for lunch by a lake in Fahnstock State Park. Checked out the nice shelter at RPH (Ralphs Peak Hiker Cabin); there were bunks inside a shelter with actual doors and you could order pizza or chinese food from town. Later I found some delicious blackberries and I passed a lot of SOBOs.

A big mileage day to get me closer to Gaylordsville where I'll meet Amy.

Sleep tight.  

Stealth camp; leave no trace
911 memorial flag
Old unfinished mill stone left in the creek
Got to look up when walking though the woods


No comments :

Post a Comment