Saturday, August 23, 2014

Day 133 (Saturday, August 23rd) - Vt. 11/30 to Mad Tom Notch

Today's Miles: 5.50
Trip Miles: 1652.70


After packing and repacking, trying to cut down some weight, Amy and I  headed out at around 10. We stopped for lunch in Peterborough and got to the trail at 2. We saw  Yellow Beard and Cherry Blossom at the trail head. They were just getting back from the Green Mountain House. I said my goodbyes and thank yous [again] to Amy and headed up Bromley Mountain.

The trail was muddy and slippery, the footing poor, but the knees felt OK until I reached the open ski slope. I got a sudden sharp pain behind my right knee. I stopped and adjusted my brace, giving it a little more play across the back. It was just sore after that.

The humidity had returned and when I caught up to Yellow Beard and CB at the ski lifts I wrung out my sweat soaked shirt. I let the breeze dry things out and enjoyed the view and conversation with the them both. They stayed at the lifts as I headed down the north face of Bromley. It was very slow going with a lot of wet rock and more mud.

When I got down to Mad Tom Notch it was 5:30. I decided to save the climb up Styles and Peru Peak for tomorrow. I set up camp and realized that in my packing frenzy this morning I left my cook pot and stove at home. Gawd, what a dope!

I called the Administrator and we made a plan for tomorrow. I'll hike twelve miles to Danby/ Landgrove Road to see how the knee holds up. That'll give her a chance to get some sleep in the morning in case I decide not to continue and she has to pick me up. With all the bother I've been lately she may not want me back.

Bye For Now.

Welcome back mud
Good water source
Cherry Blossom at the chairlift
The lift
View north from Bromley
Ski run on Bromley


No comments :

Post a Comment