Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Day 137 (Wednesday, August 27th) - The Inn at Long Trail to The Lookout 1714.3

Today's Miles: 15.40
Trip Miles: 1714.30


I hiked out after breakfast and after saying goodbye to Gregg and Jason, who would be heading north on the Long Trail. Good luck guys! I had an easy path to the Kent Pond side trail, a half mile off the AT to an outfitter, and a bit further on to a store/deli. I grabbed some snacks and a chocolate milk and went back to the trail. There was a nice waterfall called thundering falls with a Bridge and Newer boardwalk. I love those.

Then came the climb up Quimby Mountain. It was only 1254 feet, but seemed like more. It went on forever and there was no payoff as the top was all treed in. That was followed by roller coaster hills that were more roller than coaster. After that a long descent to the Story Brook Shelter. My objective was to reach the Lookout about seven miles away. The SOBOs from Kennesaw, Ga., Sweet Moose and Crouton, had told me about it back at the Whistle Stop. It had a cabin and some really good views according to them.

The forecast called for rain, but the day had been nice, though quite humid. Still, I know that when they say a chance of rain in Vermont, it's usually a sure thing. I wanted to get to the cabin ASAP. I had met a NOBO, Grub Nugget, at the deli and we hiked together for a while; nice kid, from Virginia. I told him about the cabin and he said he'd probably head there too.

Up another big run of roller coasters and then down to Chateauguay Road where I met Zip Lock. I asked her if she was going to the cabin and she said she wished she was, but Rock Man was setting up their tent at the shelter beyond. She moved on while I got water. The boys from Georgia had told me there was no water at the cabin so I was loading up.

The next couple of miles were the same as the rest of the day and then a big climb at the end. The boys from Kennesaw were right; s really nice, four sided cabin with doors and windows, a brick fireplace and a loft was waiting at the top of the hill. It also has a platform on the roof with a 360 degree view. You could look into next week or last week or east and west for miles and miles.
When I went inside, Rock Man and Zip Lock were there. Rock Man had changed his mind and it turned out to be a very good decision. Within forty-five minutes we watched the weather make a dramatic change and the rain and wind came crashing down all around us. It was a rain bomb. I was thankful to be safe inside. Also inside were Grub Nugget, Knots and his brother Top Notch, and a SOBO I didn't know.

As we looked out into the torrents of rain, two figures came up onto the porch. Hungry Horse and Dingo hadn't beaten the storm and were drenched. They changed out of their wet gear on the porch and came in to get warm just as the rain outside subsided.

Once the rain blew by I decided I'd set up my tent outside; too many people inside would mean a noisy night. I think I made the right move because even from outside I could hear the snoring later on. It rained a little after I set up, but it was a nice soft rain and I was happy to be where I was.

Night All.

Kent Pond
I love boardwalks
Malted Moose Poop
Phantom of the Forest
Yay, I don't have to jump
Grub Nugget
Rain's coming
Rain comets


No comments :

Post a Comment