Sunday, August 17, 2014

Day 127 (Sunday, August 17th) - Mark Noepel Shelter to Williamstown, MA


Beaver pond and shack
Today's Miles: 9.60
Trip Miles: 1588.70


Short day. After the animal activity of last night I was a bit tired today. You worry more that they'll wreck your gear than that they'd hurt you. I've already had my trekking poles gnawed on by hungry rodents. I don't want anything eating holes in my pack looking for the remnants of a Snickers Bar.
I made a relatively easy climb up to the top of Mt. Greylock and the Bascom Lodge. It was foggy, wet, and cool the whole way. A morning in the clouds. I figured I'd grab breakfast at the Lodge [not so good] and dry off a bit. I met Man Bear there, a NOBO who I hadn't met before and we talked for a bit; about the weather mostly.

Once I had dried off I headed out and bumped into Yellowbeard and CB at the Veterans War Memorial Tower. He has a lot of friends in the area and was meeting more of them at the summit. My grandlings were going to come out here, but they've got the bug. Probably for the best that they stayed home, I'm kind of homesick and a visit now might have lured me away.
It seemed to take forever to get to Williamstown. I'd only hiked 9.6 miles, but as easy as the climb was this morning, it was an extreme vertical going down and my knees were beat. I decided to hitch into town and call it a day.

I got a ride from Bob Cat, a New Yorker who turned around to pick me up after passing me. He said when he went by he told himself I'd get a ride and then decided he didn't want to leave me there. Truth is, I'd been hitching for a while with no luck. He dropped me off at the door of the Williamstown Motel. Thanks Bob Cat!

It's an old style motel, but very clean and fresh looking. I worked a deal with the manager on the price and asked where I might get something to eat. He told me that the Mexican Restaurant across the street, Desperados, would give me a fifteen percent discount for staying at the motel and also a discount for being a thru-hiker. That sounded good to me so I went over.

Ben, the bartender, comped me the first beer because it was the last of the keg. Yes! I ordered an appetizer and another beer. I then got a double burrito with pork, rice and beans and.... another beer. When I finished and Ben brought out the bill he said, "Let's see, 15% off as a guest of the motel, 15% off as a thru-hiker...oh, just forget it." "What?!" Then he asked if I'd like another beer. I said, "Can I pay for it?" and he said, "Nope." Crazy, great Trail Magic!! Thank you so much!

If you're in Williamstown [a very pretty area] make sure to stop in at Desperados. Did I mention the food was delicious? The people there were incredible; very affable and engaging.


I went back to the motel, with all new mattresses so I was told, and slept like a baby. Got up this morning well rested and ready to go.

Bascomb Lodge on Mt. Greylock
Clouds on the trail
Grey locks on Greylock
Mt. Greylock Veteran's Memorial
Greylock plaque
View from Mt.Williams

No comments :

Post a Comment