Sunday, July 20, 2014

Day 99 (Sunday, July 20th) - Rattlesnake Springs to Branchville

Today's Miles: 14.90
Trip Miles: 1318.00

Hitchin' a ride
It's 8:45 a.m. I'm sitting in the waiting room at the Newton Medical Center in Newton N.J. getting my toe checked. I got a ride here from Andrew and his [I'm guessing] four year old daughter, Sarah. They camped near me last night; Sarah's first overnight. They went out of their way to get me here. It's about twenty miles from the trail and I had no idea how I was going to get here. Thank you both so much!
Forty-five minutes in the ER. No problem being seen here. I got a prescription for Keflex. The pharmacy was two miles north of the hospital so I started walking. About a mile down the road a man pulled over and asked where I was going. I told him the story and he offered to take me to the Pharmacy, wait for me, and then drive me back to the trail!

He was a section-hiking thru-hiker who completed his hike last year after twenty-seven years of sections. It seems he only was able to hike during his spring breaks as a teacher. His trail name is Bead Nik. I thought he said Beat Nik, but when he dropped me off at the trail he gave me a threaded bead for luck. He also gave me his home and cell numbers and told me if I had any problems between here and Conn. to call him. Incredible Trail Magic!! Thanks so much!

I knew from texting that M and N were about two hours ahead of me, so I was trying to get on the trail quickly. At the trailhead I was arranging my food from the pharmacy and wondering what to do with the trash when a woman pulled into the lot. I asked if she could take the junk and she said she was there to set up trail magic. WOW x 3!She's Big Shep's wife, a thru-hiker who is ahead of me. She had homemade brownies, homemade peanut brittle [the best], water, and soda. So, half an hour later I hit the trail. The foot was sore, but not terrible to start and I was happy I got to the Dr.

New Jersey in the south is still very rocky so I picked my way slowly along trying not to stub my toes. There were some nice views along the way. I kept going trying to catch up to the kids, resting only long enough to change the dressing on my foot and grab a bite to eat.

I texted M and N and asked where they wanted to stop and we decided on Branchville. There's a steakhouse just off the trail and I wanted to get some significant calories. I got there at 5:30 and was sore and tired. They were at the restaurant already so I met them there. We got some good food and hitched to a motel down the road where I could clean and dress my foot.

Once I took off the hikers, my foot swelled up. It was hot and sore to the touch. It felt like someone was jabbing it with a needle. I hope the antibiotics kick in soon. Trying for 15 tomorrow.

Bye for now  

Ahhh, no rocks! 
Another beautiful view
Culver Lake, NY

No comments :

Post a Comment