Sunday, July 13, 2014

Day 92 (Sunday, July 13th) - 1216.5 to 1228.5

Today's Miles: 12.00
Trip Miles: 1228.50


I may have spoken too soon. A bad day on the trail to mark our third month. The new shoes are ok, but we're all tired of Pa.

I guess the Virginia blahs hit us late. I've been hiking sore for so long with the right leg problem, the blisters and the torn off toe nail, that I don't do more than limp along the trail most of the day. I don't think I mentioned the toe nail before; a blister under my little toe pushed the toe nail up and I caught it on a rock and tore it off. There's also the constant humidity that keeps everything you carry damp and you hike wet from sweat all day. Someone call the Wambulance, we've got a bad case of whining here.
Natalie looks very tired and I think the hard pace of yesterday really drained her. Mike, being in incredible shape, doesn't always understand that we mere humans can't match his pace.

After 11 miles today N asked if we could zero. Unfortunately, we were in a bad place to catch a ride. We tried hitching for almost two hours with no luck. We hiked back into the woods, but after a mile I said, enough. 6 p.m. we stopped and set up camp. Mike's not very happy about it. He wanted to get some miles in to make it to a town three days away, but I think we need the rest more than the miles today and he, as usual, is willing to be disappointed about the mileage. Thanks, Mike.

I can hear the two of them chatting it up and laughing so I guess it's safe for me to sleep [unless it's a trap; Mike can be pretty cunning]. I'm grateful that he puts up with my grumpy, contrarian nature. I never would have had a chance at completing this if he wasn't here. Don't tell him I said that.

I hope the early night will lead to a good day.

Ta.
Just 955.8 more miles to go
What snake?

Hitchin' for a ride

No comments :

Post a Comment