Friday, July 18, 2014

Day 97 (Friday, July 18th) - Wind Gap to Mt. Minsi

Today's Miles: 13.10
Trip Miles: 1287.10


Natalie and Mike got into Wind Gap early and I met them at the clinic. We were there for three hours, but finally got some answers. The lab results from Palmerton showed no Lyme Disease, but a resistant infection that required a stronger antibiotic. We all hope this puts an end to the problem.

Because the infection and the cure can be debilitating, Mike and Natalie are going to have to hike at a slower pace while doing less miles. I have a date with the Administrator in New York state on the 25th and 26th where I'll be taking time off. So, the plan is to have me hike ahead to make up for the time I'll be off. Natalie and Mike will take their time and catch up with me and Amy in N.Y.

It sounds logical and it is. I'm still sick at the idea of hiking without the kids. I need them to keep me in line. It just makes sense for me to make up the days now while they go slowly. Besides, the way my feet feel they'll probably be waiting for me in N.Y.

I started today's hike at noon. I had planned on getting to Delaware Water Gap 15 miles away. By 5:30 I was done. 13 miles was enough. Rocksylvania really beat me up today. The first four or five miles today was boulder field after boulder field. It was like trying to walk on a room full of bowling balls, except the bowling balls here have sharp edges. It seemed like every third step you'd get caught on, trip over, or twisted by a rock you somehow didn't see. Your eyes never leave the ground, scouting for the hidden assassins. Even the new shoes are taking a beating. MY FEET HURT!

M and N texted asking about campsites so I started looking and decided if I found one I'd grab it for all of us. It turned out they were further behind than I thought and were getting tired. They'll probably stay just past Kirkridge Shelter. There were a couple of sites near there, but nothing for an hour after.
I ended up at Mt. Minsi. A nice little site, but lonely. I ate a bit, had a hot chocolate, and now I'll tend my sore feet. Out of PA. tomorrow, but word is N.J. is just as rocky for quite a way.

Gotta bandaid a blister. Night all  

Watching the sun rise
Rocksylvania
I mean seriously.

No comments :

Post a Comment