Saturday, July 19, 2014

Day 98 (Saturday, July 19th) - Mt. Minsi to Rattlesnake Spring

Today's Miles: 16.00
Trip Miles: 1303.10


16 miles. So much for getting ahead. This isn't a hike it's a MASH unit. The third toe of my left foot [on top, of all places] has a blister that just won't heal. If it wasn't so rocky I'd hike in my flip flops.

I got up early and took my time breaking camp. I left at seven for Delaware Water Gap. I figured I'd get breakfast there and pick up a few things at the store, an easy walk in. I got to the diner on Broad Street and had the best blueberry pancakes I've had in along time. A couple of sausages done right, too. Big glass of milk, just right. I went to the store for some edibles and hiked out of town at nine.
I hiked over the Delaware River and into N.J. Goodbye PA; I won't miss you.

On the climb up out of the Gap I met Frodo, a young man from Conn. He was carrying food that another hiker had forgotten at the hostel. He said the guy, trail name "800," was waiting five miles up the trail. We found him sitting on a log looking a bit hungry, but happy to have his food back. I left the two young men as they traded AT stories.

I had been warned that N.J. wasn't any better than PA here in the southern section, and it's true. I kept jamming the toes on my left foot. Just when the right one starts to feel better the left one acts up. It always seems to be the sore foot that gets hit all the time.

I stopped at the Mohegan Center, an AMC run place. I had lunch and a drink, and tried to patch up my worsening toe. When I left, I climbed a ridge that led to a fire tower. I would have gone up the tower but some dopes coaxed their dog up the stairs only to have her freeze there. Too scared to come down. The steps were a grate and the dog wasn't going to trust something it could see through. I suggested they put their shirts on the grate to make it look solid. I was ignored. I left before they got down.
I followed the trail down to Rattlesnake spring and called it early. The toe is badly swollen. I texted Erin and Amy complaining. My whole left foot is swollen now and the pain is sharp all along the toes. If it's no better tomorrow I'll try to get to a Dr.

Night All.

Fern field 
Clouded mountain
Pennsyljersey
1300 mile marker
 

No comments :

Post a Comment