Sunday, July 6, 2014

Day 85 (Sunday, July 6th) - Quarry Gap Shelter to Stealth Campsite 1101.3

Today's Miles: 20.30
Trip Miles: 1101.30


Up and out by 7a.m. Headed for the half way point and then to Pine Grove Furnace State Park for the half gallon challenge.

 A quick FB check in 
I left first and moved along quickly with my greatly improved ankle/shin and some good terrain. I passed Cinnamon Girl, Wilderness Hawk and T-Bird at a spring. I later saw Atlas and Shea when I stopped at Birch Run Shelter for water. I hadn't seen them since the Devil's Backbone in Va. I also saw Delaware hiking solo. She said Gadget had gone off trail for a bit.

When I got close to the mid-way point I waited for M and N who were right behind me. We crossed together, took some pics and after a half hour break moved toward Pine Furnace. We passed a second half way sign [the trail is always in flux] and took more pictures there.

We'd been quick hiking all day and got to the store at Pine Furnace at 1:30. 17 miles in 6 hours. Mike and I were going to take the challenge of eating a half gallon of ice cream in thirty minutes, but by the time we got there I was more interested in a cheeseburger sub so Mike went after the prize alone. He got a half gallon of vanilla and wolfed it down in under ten minutes; no contest. He collected his prize, a wooden spoon acknowledging his deed, then got some chicken nuggets to wash down the ice cream.
I had two dishes of ice cream, the sub, a side of fries, a Gatorade, a root beer, a sprite, a honey bun, and a second sprite. A different kind of challenge, but no spoon.

We hiked another couple of miles to an old campsite and settled in early. Into Boiling Springs tomorrow.

TTFN

P.S. Natalie did her part at Pine Furnace. She had a banana, a peach, cheese fries, ice cream, a Gatorade, and a coke. Usually she'd out-eat the both of us; off day I guess.

Halfway mark!
A leisurely path
Mike and The Half Gallon Ice Cream Challenge - what challenge?
Wonder what's down this way...

No comments :

Post a Comment