Monday, July 7, 2014

Day 86 (Monday, July 7th) - Mile 1101.3 to Carlisle Pa.1125.5

Today's Miles: 24.20
Trip Miles: 1125.50


Easy trail
Good night's sleep! I woke early and after a quick breakfast took off for Boiling Springs 16.2 miles away. M and N were ready to go as I left and I figured they'd catch me soon enough.

I passed a few tenters along the way, but no one I knew. The day started out with moderate temps and a light breeze. They had predicted high heat and it showed up later in the day. I saw WH, CG and T-Bird about an hour out. They're meeting friends in Boiling Springs.

At ten miles I went through a series of rock formations called the Maze. It was kind of cool, a little scrambling; a nice break from the woods. It's funny how they twist the trail sometimes. They took you up and over, down and across, and after climbing over the boulders for ten minutes you could look back at where you started about fifty yards away over smooth terrain; nice. Three miles later I found another plaque marking the original half way point. Three half ways in two days! I took some pictures and moved on.

Coming into Boiling Springs I passed through fields of corn and wheat. Wide open spaces. It seems strange when things open up like that after the closed in feeling as you hike in the forests. The trail led out to a street and a narrow bridge that brought you into town. The kids caught up to me there. We hiked along a canal with the cleanest flowing water I've ever seen. You could see to the bottom of the canal bed no matter how deep. Absolutely sparkling.

We headed through a park along the canal to the ATC office. On the way, there were three kids selling lemonade at a little stand with their Dad. We had some nice cool drinks, a quarter a cup, and some free water. Delicious.

Through the field
At the office we met Delaware, Shea and Atlas as well as Duck who we had met briefly yesterday. We asked about some place to eat and were directed to a restaurant up the street. On the way there we found out why the town is called Boiling Springs. I had thought it was like Hot Springs, with super heated water coming up out of the ground, it actually takes it's named from a cold spring that bubbles up out of the rock as if it were boiling. We got water there and it was the cleanest I've ever seen. We hung out at the restaurant for an hour charging our phones then headed to the P.O.

Mike went out ahead to book us a room at the Super 8 in Carlisle, Pa. 8 miles away. He wanted to do some speed hiking and neither Natalie nor I can keep up. We finished our business at the P.O. and followed half an hour later. We made good time and got to Carlisle at 6:30. I hit the pool, Nat hit the shower, and Mike hit the hay.

We went across the street to the Middlesex Diner for supper. My in-laws, Sterling and Ellie, have told us about this place for years. They always told Amy and me we should stop there on our way down to see them in N.C.. Of course, when I drive I rarely stop. I had to walk to Pa. to finally take the time to try the place out. Good choice! Short money, good food, and a lot of it. Next time we drive down I'll take Amy there.

Now we're all crashing after our big day. Another big day tomorrow.

Bye for now.  

Center Point Knob - the original halfway point of the AT
Nat on the path
Amber waves of grain

No comments :

Post a Comment