Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Day 88 (Wednesday, July 9th) - Duncannon to Rte. 325

Today's Miles: 17.70
Trip Miles: 1160.80


We caught a ride from a local back to Doyle's. He said the tornadoes had hit the other side of the mountain and that he had been out all night cutting up fallen trees. We grabbed some food at Quikie Mart. The owner was from Duxbury, Ma. His dad has a store there and his uncle has one off of 3A in Hingham. A bunch of hikers stopped at the mart. Duck, Voodoo [a young woman from Beverly, Ma.], Wilderness Hawk, Cinnamon Girl and T-Bird.

After crossing the Susquehanna River we climbed up and away from Duncannon. Today was a day to slog through. My feet are getting beat up. My own fault, I should have gotten new boots by now. I had always planned on buying a pair before starting Pa., but not many of the small outfitters near the trail carry my size. The high heat, long days, and humidity are starting to catch up. I spent the last three hours hiking today arguing with myself about why I'm out here. I always end up with the same answer, to finish, but some days just feel like crud.

We are closing in on an important point in the hike, to me at least. After 14.5 miles tomorrow we'll have less than 1000 miles to go. Let the countdown begin. Little bits like that keep me going.

I think I took one picture today. There were some overlooks, nothing dramatic, all through the haze of humidity.

There were about eight different hikers that we leapfrogged during the day. Only Duck and VooDoo ended up camping near us along a little creek off of Rte 325. I soaked my feet in the cold water for about 20 minutes.

A couple of slack packers, Daddy Longlegs [from Portland Or.] and Rudy [who works in Nashua] were being picked up by DLL's wife. They offered to pick us up some sodas for the morning. Thanks!
Well I am beat. Quick supper, bed, and hope for a better tomorrow.

TTFN  

Susquehanna River

No comments :

Post a Comment