Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Day 101 (Tuesday, July 22nd) - The wooden Tower to Unionville, N.Y.

Today's Miles: 7.80
Trip Miles: 1341.10

When I got up it was clear that there was more going on with my foot than a simple infection. My foot was swollen up and the redness around my toe was spreading. Everyone on the tower had the same opinion; I needed to see another Dr. We packed up and headed out. I refused to leave without climbing the stone tower at High Point. It marks the highest point in N.J. and also marks the point where N.Y., Pa., and N.J. meet.

We thought the door was locked when we got there before eight, but it opened on the second try and we went in. I found the light switch and we climbed the stairs to the top. When we got down the caretakers were coming in and were surprised that we had found it open. No harm, no foul; all was well.

I called the Administrator and told her I needed to get to my own doctor. She made plans quickly and said she'd drive out to pick me up in Unionville, four hours from home. She's incredible and has been throughout this whole adventure. We got to the road and I told Mike and Natalie to keep hiking. I went into town to the Wits End Tavern. I wasn't there long when I got a call that the kids were coming into town to keep me company while I waited for Amy.

Amy got there at about 7:00 and she got a bite to eat. The kids were going to stay in N.Y. and wait for my call after I saw the Dr. before deciding what to do. I wanted to head home right away and get this taken care of so I could continue the hike. We dropped the kids off at a motel and headed to the camp in Halifax, Ma. I figured it would be quiet there with no distractions. We got there at 2 a.m.

Sunrise from the observation tower platform
Breakfast
Morning hugs
M and N at the High Point Monument



No comments :

Post a Comment