Thursday, July 17, 2014

Day 96 (Thursday, July 17th) - Palmerton to Wind Gap

Today's Miles: 20.10
Trip Miles: 1274.00

Natalie is still not feeling very well.

We were lucky enough to get a ride back to the trail from Jerry and Laura whose son, trail name Bud [Jesse], is thru hiking. They've come out from Indiana to do some trail magic and to give Bud and his friends a chance to slack pack. Bud, Turtle and Flea did 25 miles yesterday and are recouping at the motel so Jerry is driving us to Palmerton. Thanks Jerry and Laura!

The view back to Palmerton
The climb out was steep, as in hand over hand scrambling, but fun. A nice dry day as we took our time picking a safe route to the top. Amazing how a change in the weather and a little rest can change your attitude. The top of the climb used to be a zinc mining operation and they are trying to reclaim the area. Nice views to town and the river. Lots of blueberries and blackberries along the way.

The kids caught up and we took a break. I thought we should go to Wind Gap where there was a clinic open until eight, Mike and Natalie weren't sure they wanted to do the twenty miles. I headed out. The terrain, while rocky wasn't bad. Again, a dry day makes all the difference. around 1:30 I stopped for lunch and M and N came by, but they moved further down the trail to eat. When I caught up to them there was a sign that said Wind Gap was 10 1/2 miles away. I said we could be there by six, but Mike didn't want to push it. They'll come into town tomorrow. I hiked on and got there at 5:30.

I went to a place called the Beer Stein, a pub that allows camping out back on a huge field. After eating and a few beers I set up my tent and walked down to the store. There were a few others camping there. No one I knew. Well time for bed. I'm thinking they'll be adjusting Nat's meds tomorrow, we'll see.

Night All.  


Mike lending a helping hand to Natalie
Double Blaze
Oh, look. More rocks to climb.
This is more like it
A much needed break



No comments :

Post a Comment