Friday, June 6, 2014

Days 54-55 (Thursday-Friday, June 5th-6th) - A little R&R

Today's Miles: 0.00
Trip Miles: 630.90


The mountain we climbed up and over to get to Pearisburg

We woke up early Thursday, showered again, put our gear together, met Andi and Yvanna for a late
morning ice cream breakfast at DQ, and then I waited impatiently for the Administrator to arrive.
Shortly after 1 pm (and a four hour drive from Richmond, Va.) a little rental car pulled into the lot and my lovely, talented, incredibly sweet wife stepped out. Hugs and kisses and already in my mind I'm missing her because I know the next few days will fly by.

Mike and Natalie, Andi and Yvanna, and Amy and I went into La Barranca for a nice lunch. Lots of smiles and quite a bit of German being spoken at the table. Amy went to school there and loves to speak the language when she gets the chance. A great way to start our mini-vaca with such good friends.

I don't always play guitar,
but when I do, it's made of cardboard
Sadly, when lunch was over, I had to take Andi and Yvanna back to the trail. Hugs goodbye and maybe and few tears, but we hope to catch up to them for Yvanna's birthday on the 20th. We'll certainly find them for the Germany vs. U.S.A. World Cup game on the 24th.

From Pearisburg we headed to Roanoke, Va. to pick up M and N's car for their ride to Washington D.C.. They're going to see Natalie's new nephew, and the rest of her family. A little time away from the grumpy old guy won't hurt either.

Amy and I headed to Salem, Va., to a B&B called The Inn at Burwell Place. It's a beautiful old home with a huge suite for us. We've enjoyed some fine dining and some fun private time. We also had a chance to get the blog in order.

We're heading back to Pearisburg and the trail today. Missing my beautiful wife and best friend will push this old man a little faster along the trail. I can't wait until I'm close enough for another visit.

Love you, Babydoll!

*I love you, too, and I'm so glad to have made the trip, even if it was for only a millisecond!!
~The Administrator xoxo



The Administrator brought Whoopie Pies! Whoopieeee!!
M&N picking up their rental car in Roanoke, VA 
Our suite at the Inn at Burwell Place
Our breakfast at the inn; guess which is mine
The Administrator and me on the veranda
The Administrator and me in front of a confederate monument in Salem, VA
Hunting and pecking on the front lawn
Lightening up, and re-packing
I guess they enjoyed their zero days

4 comments :

  1. Dear John, thank you from Germany for the nice pictures you took from A and Y and for your warm and lovely words about our two hikers. As they cannot send photos themselves, we are very pleased to read about them and see them in your wonderful blog. We wish you, Mike and Natalie all the best for the way through the woods.
    Please take our regards und herzliche Grüße an Ihre Frau.
    Eva und Gerd Latterner

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liebe Eva und Gerd! Es war richtig schön die Y u. A kennen zu lernen! Ich werde mein Mann und Stiefsohn wiedersehen als sie weiter nord sind, vielleicht in Juli/August, weil es wird dauern nur 2-4 stunden mit dem auto, und ich hoffe dafür auch Ihre zwei Wanderer mal wieder zu sehen --Ich werd es machen!!
      Oh, Ich hab' fast vergessen! Mein Mann sagte Sie werden für Yvanna Geburtstag am 20. zusammen sein! Wie Schön, die Wanderer gefällt einander und sind Freunde geworden.
      Alles gut aus dem USA
      -Amy
      P.S. Bitte entschuldigen Sie meine Fehler, und ich danke Ihnen, dass ich mein Deutsch üben kann! ;o)

      Delete
    2. Dear Amy, thank you for your nice reply. Sie können gerne jederzeit auf deutsch schreiben, hier ist meine e-mail Addresse: eva.latterner@t-online.de. I would like to write in English, just to practice. As you might know, we. have a one-year-old granddaughter in Washington and we want to see her and her parents in October. Ich wünsche Ihnen eine gute Zeit und sende herzliche Grüße aus Deutschland. Eva

      Delete
    3. Vielen dank für deine email addresse, Eva, ich werde glech mal schreiben :o)
      I didn't know that you have a one year old granddaughter in DC. It will be so nice to see her and her parents in October -- you must miss them a lot!
      Again, it was great to meet Andi and Yvanna, and I look forward to seeing them again! I'm glad you're able to see some photos of them, too, here on my husband's blog.
      All the best!
      -Amy

      Delete