Sunday, June 15, 2014

Day 64 (Sunday, June 15th) - Black Rock Overlook to US 501, Glasgow, VA

Today's Miles: 19.00
Trip Miles: 780.80


Red Columbine - Aquilegia canadensis
Very cool this morning. I was up and out by 6:45 with the kids not far behind. I had no water and hoped to find some within a couple miles. I called home when I got to the FAA tower to bitch about nothing and Amy listened patiently to my nonsense, knowing I've just been having a bad few days.

I moved on to Thunder Ridge Overlook where there were some nice views, and on to the shelter with it's dribbling stream to fill up. I headed up a steep incline when M and N caught up, both low on water. We found a barely running stream and cameled up. We started out for Marble Spring and what we hoped would be a better water source. Luckily there was a good one there and we loaded up. We stayed there for lunch.

We met Smooth D from N.C. and a few others we hadn't met before. Smooth D and I hiked out together for Va. 501 and the town of Glasgow. We hiked along the James River for a while and came to the longest footbridge on the AT. There were some hikers there jumping off the bridge and I decided to wait for M and N to see if they'd be interested in giving it a try. Smooth D headed across for a ride to town.

James River footbridge
When M and N got there it turned out that they had already been river swimming so we skipped the jump and headed across to hitch to town. We had no luck hitching, but a shuttle came by and picked us up. $5 for the carload to town.

Glasgow is a cool little town that has provided a place for hikers to camp, shower and bunk. There's also a porta-pottie there. The restaurant there does very well catering to hungry hikers. We got there pretty early and stayed watching the World Cup until they closed at 8. We went to the store across the street to resupply and then joined the others on the common setting up tents.

Talk, laughter and off to bed listening to the sounds of people enjoying each other's company.

Well, I'm beat. Night all.  



Thunder Ridge Overlook
Balancing Rock

No comments :

Post a Comment