Saturday, June 14, 2014

Day 63 (Saturday, June 14th) - Bobblet Shelter to Black Rock Overlook

Blue Ridge Parkway view
Today's Miles: 19.30
Trip Miles: 761.80


Hole in the heart tree
Happy Anniversary, my Love!
*Happy Anniversary, Honey!

I woke up in a miserable mood; missing my wife and thinking that I'm hiking too slowly through Virginia. I thought we'd be chewing up miles by now and it just isn't happening.

I left by myself and hiked alone most of the day. I was supposed to meet Natalie and Mike at Jennings Creek, but after taking a swim and getting water they still hadn't caught up so I moved on. I hiked to the top of Fork Mt. and had a chance to call Amy and wish her Happy Anniversary (which also included a very sweet chat about a new tent and freeze dried food; such a romantic guy I am).

I hiked on to Bryant Ridge Shelter which was built by Amish workmen and is the nicest shelter I've seen. Post and beam with oak pegs, a second floor and real windows. M and N caught me there and were still eating when I left.

I moved on to Cornelius Shelter and waited for the kids. When they didn't show I moved on to Black Rock Overlook hoping there'd be a good campsite there. I found a beautiful view, but no sites and no water. When they got there an hour later I asked if they wanted to keep hiking, but Natalie had been feeling crappy all day (which is why they were so late getting there) so I went down the trail to see what I could find. Not far along I found a semi-suitable spot where we set up camp. We were able to eat before being chased into our tents by flies and no-see-ums.

Early to bed, early to rise; hoping for a better tomorrow.

TTFN.  

Morning light 
Smokey cloud lakes

No comments :

Post a Comment