Monday, June 23, 2014

Day 72 (Monday, June 23rd) - Camp at 889.3 to Lewis Mt. Campgrounds

Today's Miles: 22.30
Trip Miles: 911.60


Green tunnel
We knew we'd be passing the 900 mile mark and decided to meet at, or near Hightop Hut (shelters are called huts in Shenandoah) so that we could cross the mark together. Before we headed out we had a visitor in camp. A young buck with antlers just coming into velvet was hanging around us as we got ready to go. So tame; they have no fear here in Shenandoah.

I hiked alone and enjoyed the quiet morning moving down through the mist. M and N caught me at the road crossing at Powell Gap and we watched as waves of clouds rolled up the side of the mountains. I hiked out ahead of the kids until the road at Smith Roach Gap, where we all met for lunch. It was a quick uphill from there to the Hightop Hut where we got water and then walked the half mile to a stone marker for 900. We took a few pictures and then climbed to the summit.

The kids wanted to hang out and I wanted to move out so I left for Lewis Mountain Campground eleven miles away. It was 1:30 and the times listed in the guide for some of the stores and restaurants hadn't been accurate. I wanted to be sure I made it before the store closed. I passed a lot of day hikers and saw some wildlife; snakes and deer, no bears today. There was a group of about twenty teenage girls, with some adults, hiking forty miles over a few days. One of the adults, Derek, was excited to meet a thru-hiker and asked if he could take a picture with me. I sense a future thru-hiker there.

Ready to strike (non-poisonous)
I got to Lewis Campground at 5:20 and went to the campstore for the chocolate milk I'd been craving. The sign on the door showed closing time as 6 p.m. In the book it had 7 p.m. I'm glad I hurried. Along with the milk I had an apple fritter, York Peppermint Patty, chips, a water, a root beer, and a Hershey Bar. Just a little something to hold me until supper. I told the man working the register that there were people coming in from the trail and he said he'd stay open until they got in. Thank you.

M and N got there forty-five minutes later with Andi and Yvanna not far behind. They all loaded up on food and we decided that 22 miles for the day was enough. We got a campsite there. It was $15, but you were only allowed two tents per site. Two of the day hikers I passed today, James and Dillon, were there and told me to set up on their site. Thanks guys.

We cooked dinner, drank some beer and soda, ate all the junk food we had purchased at the store and chatted with our neighbors. Soon enough it was time for bed. We'll see what tomorrow brings.

Bye for now.  

900 !
Yvanna and Andi at 900
Taking a break


No comments :

Post a Comment