Monday, June 2, 2014

Day 51 (Monday, June 2nd) - A mile past Jenkins Shelter to Dismal Falls

Today's Miles: 17.10
Trip Miles: 607.80

Four-leaved Milkweed (Asclepias quadrifolia)

I woke up at 6 o'clock. At about 6:30, some young'ns walked by with their music blaring. I got aggravated. Beautiful morning. Birds singing. Sun rising. For the ten minutes they were in earshot, I was ranting. I finished packing up, and was on the trail by 7. All I wanted to do was catch up to them for a chat.

I hiked pretty quickly, but I didn't think I'd catch them. They were 20 somethings going at a good clip. There wasn't a birdsong or animal in their wake; the music chasing everything away. At 9am, I found them at a gravel road crossing having a snack. "I was hoping I'd catch you guys." "Oh yeah man? What's up?" "I just wanted to tell you that your music at 6:30 this morning SUCKED." "What?" "You ruined a beautiful, tranquil morning." "You think so?" "Yes, I do. Try earphones. And have a nice day." I doubt what I said had any effect on them, I just needed to say it.

This is how the girls "shave" their legs... with nail clippers
I was supped to meet everyone at Jenny Knob Shelter. I got there at 10, but I just got water and kept going toward VA 606 and Trent's Grocery Store. Just past the shelter we hit 600 miles, but I never saw a marker. There was a cool suspension bridge just before the road. Swing and sway all the way across.

I got to the road at 12:45 and walked to Trent's. I got a burger and some drinks, and waited for the kids. There were lots of people there, Dos Lekis, Nuke, Cropduster, Bad Foot, and some others. The kids showed up after 2. We ended up staying there until after 4 o'clock. Only 1 lady in the store dealing with 20 people looking for food.

We hiked on to Dismal Falls, a cool swimming hole, good campsites, and had a lot of fun swimming in the freezing cold water. We made a fire and ate supper. The four kids are out there talking and giggling while I write; I really enjoy this time of night.

Peace.
Beautiful path
The suspension bridge
View form the bridge
The bridge from below
Another way to cross
C'mon in, it's not that cold!
Suspicious Mike is suspicious
Brrrrrr!!
Nipple-popping cold!
M
N
A
Sorry, Y, your "ugly monkey face" is just too cute!
Selfie
Yvanna got a chance to see the ever-elusive "Dismal Falls Squirting Oyster"

No comments :

Post a Comment