Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Day 53 (Wednesday, June 4th) - 625 campsite to Pearisburg, Cross Ave 630.9

Rolling hills and fog
Today's Miles: 5.90
Trip Miles: 630.90

Up early, 5:30. Out by 6:15. Quick march to Cross Ave. The 4 amigos were up when I left and wouldn't be far behind. A misty morning that threatened more rain. I started in my shorts and shirt, but soon lost the shirt; just too muggy.

I crossed some small streams that were barely moving, and began a short climb away from the gap. The boulders along here and those yesterday, were precariously balanced on each other. You never knew when you'd shift the weight on one or the other, and it's a rock-n-roll hike over them. I passed Crop Duster (Sarah) this morning at her campsite; she's an early riser. We talked for a while and agreed we'd see each other in Pearisburg.

Further along the trail, I passed more tents. Bad Foot, State Farm, Magic Hat, all still asleep. I got to the top of the ridge for a nice view, and further on, took the side trail to Angel's rest, which looked down on the town and the factory there.

I wanted to run the downhill side, but it was too stoney and too vertical. I eased my way along the switchbacks to Cross Ave. The ave went by some farms and on to North Main Street. I talked to a few locals, and walked around for a bit. I bumped into Magic Hat, who advised against breakfast at Hardee's.

I got a drink at a convenience store, and when I got out, M&N and Y&A were there. We went to DQ for breakfast, then to the motel to check in. A little R&R at the 600 mark should help with the nagging injuries. We're trying to lighten up our gear for the summer, so we can put in some miles.

CAN NOT WAIT TO SEE AMY! Hoping for some nice weather for the time she's here.

TTFN  

Crop Duster
Cutting through the roc
A note from Gandalf
"Chicken of the Woods"
Trail marker

No comments :

Post a Comment