Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Day 74 (Wednesday, June 25th) - 928.8 Stony Man Summit to Thornton Gap

Overlook
Today's Miles: 8.40
Trip Miles: 937.20


Morning
I was up at 5:30 and out at 6:30. I passed a hiker named Yellow Beard on Little Stony Man Cliff. He had spent a sleepless, windy night there. I took some pics at the overlook and moved on. There were a couple of nice picnic areas along the trail with water bubblers; nice, no filtering. There were a lot of deer along the trail browsing on the plants that line the way. They just stand and stare until you get about ten feet away, then they calmly walk off into the denser brush.

I stopped at Byrd's Rest Hut #3 and signed the register, then made my way to Thornton's Gap. After cleaning up in the huge, CLEAN restroom there, I walked down to Rte. 211 to hitchhike the eight miles into the town of Luray. I was getting my HIKER TO TOWN sign out when a truck pulled over and offered me a lift. A local construction worker who had done a lot of the historical restoration work in Luray took me to Rte. 340 a couple miles from downtown Luray. Thanks for the lift. I was going to hoof it from there when Coffee and his wife pulled over and gave me a ride the rest of the way to town. Coffee had been attempting a thru this year when a bad knee forced him off trail. They dropped me off at the outfitters. Get well soon, Coffee, and thanks.

Oh, it was supposed to be a 'short' hike
Natalie and Mike saw me outside the outfitters when they got into town. Their ride was provided by a nice lady named Sharon Shutle who helps out hikers all the time. Thanks Ms. Shutle. As we walked down the street we texted Andi and Yvanna to meet us for lunch. Before we could finish the text they were dropped off next to us by another local trail angel. Thank you.

At the suggestion of Linda, the woman at Appalachian Outdoors Adventures, we ate at the West Main Market. Delicious sandwiches and nice people. We also took her advice and stayed at the Best Western, which was a nice, clean place with a decent little pool. John, the man at the desk, was very accommodating and even offered us a ride to the store to resupply. The girls crashed and napped, the guys hit the pool and then watched some World Cup. We grabbed some food at Gennaro's next door and after a late supper hit the hay. Germany vs. U.S.A. tomorrow then we hike out again.

TTFN
A deer breaking back into the brush
Byrd Shelter
Looking down on Skyline Drive
They keep putting these hills in the way
A funny little bug
Woven flowers
Stealth camping

No comments :

Post a Comment