Monday, June 30, 2014

Day 79 (Monday, June 30th) - Wilson's Gap to Harper's Ferry

Today's Miles: 13.70
Trip Miles: 1019.60


The smooth path to Harpers Ferry
I started early because I knew I'd be slow. The leg looks worse after the workout yesterday. I wrapped it up, took some ibuprofen and headed for Harper's Ferry. It wasn't long before Andi and Yvanna caught and passed me, and soon after M and N caught up too. The trail was nice at the start and pretty even so I was able to keep up for a bit. Eventually, as the trail got rockier, they walked away from me, but they all waited at the next spring and we agreed to meet at the Virginia/W. Virginia border.

The trail became a rock pile and I had to pick my way through. I thought we still had about an hour to the border when I saw everyone sitting at the sign. I guess I wasn't going as slowly as I thought. We hiked down to the bridge that crosses the Shenandoah River and on to the ATC. We dropped our packs, grabbed some drinks, picked up our mail drops and got our pictures taken. We were hikers # 928, 929 and 930. About one thousand ahead of our start.

The Administrator got us a price break at the Econo Lodge and we headed there. We settled in to watch the Germany/Algeria game. I put my leg up on pillows and put an ice pack on it.

Natalie's brother Aaron came out from D.C. and took us all out to dinner. We went to a place called The Canal House. Very nice place. The food, if not organic, was free range raised and very fresh. We had a great time, but we were all very tired. We went back to the hotel, Aaron left for home and we all hit the hay. Thanks to Aaron for traveling so far and treating us so well. It was greatly appreciated and a pleasure to meet you.

Zero tomorrow to get the swelling down and get ready for the next thousand plus.

Bye for now.  

Bye-bye VA
M & N, leaving VA
A & Y, leaving VA
Why are my feet so sore?
A and Y
Awwwwwwwwwwwww : )
Just Us at the ATC
What swelling?
Dinner with Aaron (thanks again!)


No comments :

Post a Comment