Saturday, May 31, 2014

Day 49 (Saturday, May 31st) - VA 625 to Jenkins Shelter

Today's Miles: 14.40
Trip Miles: 575.70


I got up early and headed out, hoping that the pond up 
ahead listed in the guide was swimmable. Even if it was, it would be a cool dip, because the air was wet with a thick fog. On the long climb up, I was barely able to see. It was as thick as a Cape Cod fog.

The pond turned out to be more of a puddle, so I continued on to Chestnut Knob Shelter. It was pretty nice, with bunks inside a block building with a door. There were a couple of hikers there who weren't very talkative, so I moved on.

I got to VA 623 and saw a bunch of water bottles, but they were empty. Just missed. I decided to take lunch at Jenkins Shelter. I got there at 2pm and ate. Billygoat was there napping, and I didn't wake him. I though Y&A would get there soon, but they didn't get there until 2:45. They said M&S were right behind them. I filtered some water and waited for them. They finally got there at 4pm. I was just about to head back to see if I could find them. Natalie's calf was swollen and sore, so we decided to stay where we were. I got a fire going, we set up the tents, ate, and talked until 10. Here's hoping for a better day tomorrow.

TA.  

Foggy morning
Chestnut Knob Shelter
Another indecisive tree
Mountain Laurel highway
Just a snake passing through

No comments :

Post a Comment