Saturday, May 10, 2014

Day 28 (Saturday, May 10th) - Zero in Hot Springs

Today's Miles: 0.00 
Trip Miles: 273.90

Click here for Trail Notes!

We had an organic breakfast at Elmer's with some of the other guests. Nice conversation and a good meal, can't beat it.

Lazed around and then went out for resupply at the outfitters. Someone said, "Well don't you say hello?" and there was Granite from Nashua who we hadn't seen in quite a while. I asked how he was doing and he lifted his shirt to reveal some staples in four different places on his belly. "Bear?" I asked. "Gall bladder," he replied.

What he thought was nagging indigestion turned out to be a raging gall bladder. They removed it arthroscopically and told him he'd have a six week recovery. He's determined to thru this year and hopes to get home, get better, and get back on the trail southbound. From the short time I've spent with him he's given me no reason to doubt that he'll finish his hike. With luck, I hope to meet him coming south in a couple of months. He's staying at Elmer's too, so I hope to see him again before we head out. Best of luck, Granite and a speedy recovery.

We've had meals at the Iron Horse and the Still Mountain Restaurants. Both places had good food and friendly staff. We also stopped at the Spring Creek Tavern for some designer beers, AOK. The kids are going to watch the Bruins and then go to the spa. I've got a few things on my mind so I think I'll just chill out at Elmer's.

I'll wish all the moms a Happy Mother's Day now, while I have service. We wouldn't be here without you. Ok, and dad too.

TTFN.

She owns everything in town

1 comment :

  1. Day 36: spent a ton of money at dollar store lol lots of honey buns.
    Had breakfast at the hostel with other hikers. Neither mike nor I were too excited. They had tea and grits and other great food...spent the day lying around and then Mike and I went to the Hot Springs and soaked in a hot tub of mineral water. It was pretty awesome...just hot tubing in the great outdoors but creepy cause someone comes and knocks on the wood siding to tell you times up and then the tub starts to drain. Weird.

    ReplyDelete