Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Day 46 (Wednesday, May 28th) - Hurricane Mt. to Partnership Shelter

Today's Miles: 19.70
Trip Miles: 531.10


Woke up to sunshine for the first time in a long time. I was out first and we said we'd meet at Trimpi Shelter, about 10 miles out. 

Dos Lekis
I marched head down for the early part of the hike then bumped into Dos Lekis, whom we had
met few times before. This was the first time I had a real chance to speak with him. He's a former U.S. Army soldier, originally from Great Britain (Coventry), who moved to Oklahoma when he was a boy. He worked as a stockbroker for a while, but now is in the green energy field. A very interesting and nice guy. We hiked together for about an hour then I moved on when he stopped to eat.

It was dank and dark at the shelter when I got there so I kept going. Just beyond it the forest opened up to fields and I stopped to eat. The kids and A and Y didn't get there while I was there so I moved on.
As I reentered the forest I met Feathers, a SOBO hiker, at a small tent where a church group had left trail magic. Sodas, snacks, first aid gear, water, even dog treats. Thanks guys! Little Feet and Fifal (sp) stopped in. I hadn't met them before; nice kids from GA. When they left, M&N came in with A&Y, and 3 NOBOS; two women and one man a bit older than me. One woman's trail name was Saybak ("See all you bitches at Katahden" -that's what she told her friends when she left).

The green tunnel
M&N and I hiked out pretty quickly, A&Y were a bit slower, so we said we'd meet at Partnership Shelter for pizza. You can call and have it delivered, because the shelter is near a road. We pushed pretty hard and got here by 4:15. Very busy there, lots of hikers. Mike and I hiked past the shelter to find a campsite, while Natalie called for pizza. A hiker came by and told Natalie that he thought Andi & Yvanna were going to camp before the shelter, but we found a place big enough for all of us and it was a good thing, because they came in about 5pm. They were happy we saved them a place, and were happy to help us eat the pizza.

J.D., a young man from Sweden, and Man Alive from SC came to eat with us around the fire. They had done 25 miles today, and were beat. When they left, we all sat around talking and joking until after 9, then we went to bed.

M&N and I are going to Marion to resupply, we'll find A&Y down the trail.

Bye for now.  

Up and over the barbed wire fence
An easy path
Dismal Falls
Pizza party

1 comment :

  1. Yvanna was my favourite tonight because she was in love with the cinnamon sticks and the next morning I said there was one left for her calling her name and she said "oh yes I hear it and will eat it"...I love the Germans and having a pizza party with them was such fun! They have taught us a bunch of German and we have German trail names now...

    Trail notes: 20+ with pizza :) weighed myself and I haven't lost anymore weigh lol

    Lila (purple)

    Snooby (mustache)

    Swanstien (chimney)

    Axel shvice (armpit sweat)

    Shtinka foose (stinky foot)

    ReplyDelete