Sunday, May 18, 2014

Day 36 (Sunday, May 18th) - campsite 363.4 to campsite 380.6

More amazing views
Today's Miles: 17.20
Trip Miles: 380.60

Listened to screech owls all night. They are the weirdest sounding creatures. It was as if they were sitting in the trees right above us. Of course, M and N slept right through all the noise (creeps).

Just beautiful
I was up and out early with plans to meet the kids on Roan Mt. for lunch. It's still very quiet on the trail. The views from Little Rock Knob were nice. I stopped there for pictures. On the way down to Hughes Gap there were crews coming up to do trail maintenance. I thanked them for their efforts.

Climbing out of the gap up Roan there were more crews working. It looks like next year the trail will be longer and less vertical than it is now. They're putting in a lot of new switchbacks.

Bum sleeping on Roan
When I got to the top it was cold and cloudy. I ate lunch and waited for the kids. Cuddles and Two Long Braids were there. I thought we were ahead of them coming out of Erwin, I guess not. M and N came up a half hour later and ate. The sun finally came out, and we dried out our tents and took a nap in the parking area. That was nice after listening to the owls last night.

From there we hiked together over Round, Jane, and Grassy Balds. Great views, and someone left some apples for trail magic. Thanks, they were great.

We made our way to a campsite at 380.6 miles. It was a pretty site, but if I haven't mentioned it before, let me say this: if you're out hiking for the day or for a couple of days or for a year, please treat the trail with respect. It's sickening the amount of trash and fecal matter people leave behind with no regard for anyone who comes after them. It isn't hard to do the right thing by carrying out your trash or digging a cat hole away from the campsites. You wouldn't let your dog behave the way some people do out here.

We cleaned up the site a bit and settled in to sleep. Another cold night expected. Good miles today and some beautiful views.

Sleep well.

Just a gastropod mollusk

Melting Tree

Natalie and John
M and N
And cue Julie Andrews.
Who took my ramen noodles?!
Did I mention the views?

1 comment :

  1. I was extremely exhausted this day...I remember saying "one day I want to be able to just take a nap in the middle of the day" and then the next thing I knew I woke up from a nap and noticed the guys were asleep too, so I fell back to sleep :) it was one of the best!!!

    ReplyDelete