Sunday, May 11, 2014

Day 29 (Sunday, May 11th) - Hot Springs To Spring Mt. Shelter

Today's Miles: 11.00
Trip Miles: 284.90

M and N in the French Broad River
It was a slow start for us this morning getting out of Hot Springs, but things got interesting soon enough. We had breakfast, made a few resupply purchases, weighed our too heavy backpacks and finally headed for Spring Mt. Shelter.

We crossed the French Broad River and were following the blazes along the shoreline when the lure of the river became too much for Mike and Natalie to ignore. Before you could say, "Let's" they had stripped down to skivies and were in the water for a swim. I headed back over the bridge to a convenience store for some water after talking to some southbound hikers who said water was scarce along the trail.

The blonde at Lover's Leap
After their swim we followed the blazes up a steeply graded trail to Lover's Leap, an outcropping along
the river about 300' high. Just past the first overlook as I lead with Natalie then Mike following, Natalie suddenly called out, "Um, John." I turned to see what she wanted and she pointed down to the trail where a copperhead snake sat where I had just stepped. "That snake just tried to bite you. He just missed your leg."

"Well, thank you for the timely warning." I said.

"What kind of a snake is that?" she asked.

"A poisonous one." I answered.

"Wow, that would have made a cool entry in your blog. You could have written about going to the hospital and the treatment you got."

To which Mike added, "Yeah, that WOULD have been cool."

"I'm sorry I didn't have the near death experience you had hoped for guys, maybe next time."

We tried to get a picture of the snake, but it took off into the brush. A valuable trail lesson about how little control we have over the events of this hike. Like life in general, you just put your head down and keep walking.

Crawfish need love, too
We passed the first pond I can recall seeing since the start of the hike and took lunch just beyond it. It was nice, sitting under a huge tree relaxing and talking to hikers as they passed by. We met a young German couple, Andi and Yvanna from Dortmund. There was Sarah and her lab, Brie, and a former marine who's name we didn't get.

The rest of the hike afforded few views, though we were glad to be in the shade of the trees.
We got to the camp site about 6:30. The spring there was running at a trickle even after yesterday's rain. It's been dry and water may be an issue tomorrow. We'll camel up here and see what happens.

Night all.


John at Lover's Leap
Time for a lunch break, I think I'll climb a tree

1 comment :

  1. Today was one of my favourites. I think I drove the guys crazy on this trip cause I was easily distracted and enchanted by the little stops along the trail...like the river. I had to give my best puppy dog face to get the approval from John to stop and then quick as I could I was bounding toward the water. Swimming on the trail in random pools or rivers was on my list of things I was looking forward to most on this hike so it was fun to be able to enjoy one of them...the water was pretty cold and the current pretty strong so Mike didn't want me going to far in...I think I would have gotten hurt several times on this trip if it were not for Mike and John yelling at me. I know my parents are glad of that and even told me to tell them to yell at me! The path along the river was beautiful and then began the climb which was really nice as well. After the snake fiasco things calmed down until lunch were I decided to climb a tree with the help of both Mike and John. I also found my first tick...terrifying!!! I don't remember meeting the Germans this day but that is probably cause I waved at them in the tree...ahhh I miss the Germans soo much!!!

    Trail notes: Day 36: started day by icing my legs and feet in the tub. And then putting that clear bandage stuff all over my feet :) living the dream. Spent wayyy too much money on food and don't have room for it all.

    John took my clothes bag today and I need to figure out how to get my pack weight down.

    Mike and I swam in the French Broad river and it was so fun. Just changing in the middle of the day in the woods. John almost died from a copper head bite...

    First tick sighting.

    "That's why chivalry is dead...it kills men" - non other than Mike!

    ReplyDelete