Thursday, May 29, 2014

Day 47 (Thursday, May 29th) - Partnership Shelter to Campsite 546.5

Today's Miles: 15.40
Trip Miles: 546.50

Rolling hills
We got up and gathered our gear to hitch into Marion. Yvanna and Andi were going to hike further to
 Davis Path or Crawfish Trail, where we hoped to meet them. I got a ride in from a local construction worker, who took me directly to the laundromat. M&N hitched 2 rides to meet me. They ended up hitching in with Dandelion.


He hates this 
We did our laundry, went to RiteAid, and then got a burger at Wendy's. We were charging our phones, so I stayed with the packs while the kids went to Food City for re-supply.

We didn't start to hitch back until 1pm. Jim Sparks, whose son is in NH hiking thru (he left GA in February) picked us up. He told us about some trail magic he does at the Lindamood School, a museum along the trail. He dropped us off at the partnership Shelter. We cleaned up, and headed out after 2pm. Natalie headed out first, because she felt slow so she wanted to get a head's start.

"Stop! I'm trying to hate this!!"
By 2:30, the sunny day darkened and the thunder started. I stopped to gear up, and Mike kept going. For the next 1 and a half hours, we were in a downpour. At about 3pm, I saw Noah floating by on his Ark; he said, "No riders." The rain was really banging down.

As quickly as it started, it stopped; only the thunder in the distance to remind you of what happened. A few minutes later, I could hear the rain approaching again. I wasn't in the mood to get wet. Fortunately, it stayed just off to my right. I could watch it falling 20 feet away, but never got a drop on me.

One quarter of the way!
I caught up to the kids, and we hiked to the Lindamood School. We partook of the Magic, played at the school for a while, then headed out for The Bard, a restaurant on the AT. We got there about 7pm, saw in the register that A&Y had been there at 2pm, sat down for supper and didn't leave until after 8.

We decided to night hike to Davis Path. With headlamps on, we roller-coasted for 2 hours. When we came to a sign on the path indicating "546 miles"; the 1/4 mark. Unfortunately for us, that meant we went past Davis Path. We hiked on in the dark, looking for a campsite. About a half mile later, we found a two-tent site along the trail and set up. Quick to bed after a long day.

TTFN

The Lindamood School
Creeeepy 
Claaa-aaass!
Bad student is bad
Is.... this the lens?

1 comment :

  1. Very fun pics! Looking forward to the next installment!!!

    ReplyDelete