Friday, May 9, 2014

Day 27 (Friday, May 9th) - Unnamed Gap to Hot Springs, NC

Today's Miles: 11.00
Trip Miles: 273.90

Sidewalk blazes, Hot Springs, NC
Natalie was the first out and Mike shortly after. I finished packing and was about twenty minutes behind. Duck Tape was going to take a zero for mother's day so he took his time leaving. He was going to hike past us so that he could catch us on Sunday after our zero. Confused? Me too.
The idea was to quick-hike into town to see what accommodations, if any, Amy was able to find for us. If there were none we'd hike on after resupply.

I hustled out trying to catch the kids, but I had a lyric stuck in my head that I wanted to write down so after an hour I pulled off my pack and got a pen and paper. As I was writing two thrus came by. We said hello and they bombed on past. The second hiker is a guy I'd seen before. Looks to be in his fifties, seems nice enough, but each time I've seen him I've thought to myself, this guy's way too clean. He smells like a day hiker, all soft and soapy. He's clean shaven and his clothes always look fresh and shiny. I don't know how he does it, but I know anyone that clean isn't gonna run by me on the trail.

I threw on my pack, cinched it down tight and took off at a trot until I was on his heels. I know; I'm out on the trail, supposedly enjoying the peace, serenity and companionship of the thru hiker community, but face it, I'm a nut.

So I'm on the guy's heels and he's listening to the click of my trekking poles and my panting breath and he's bounding along down the trail. I'm thinking, this guy's a machine. Then I notice a little hitch in his step. He catches his toe a bit on a root. I hear him swear under his breath. A few steps on he kicks up a stone, another low grumbling curse. I know I've got him. He takes a deep breath and yells out, "I need a water break," and steps to the side of the trail. I dig my poles deep into the ground and leap past him. I don't look back and I don't slow down; we're two miles from the next shelter and damn it, I'm getting there first. This dirty, sweaty, hairy, old fanatic SOB will not be beaten.

I know the guy has no idea he's been in a race. I know he probably thought I was just trying to get to a privy. Doesn't matter. I win.

Hot Springs, NC
When I got to the shelter I told Mike about my incredible encounter and of the defeat of the good smelling guy, and he Miked me with a little smile and a tired shake of the head. Poor Natalie didn't get it at all. What I know is that those were the best six miles I've ever hiked. Thanks, good smelling guy.

We finished the eleven miles to town in about four hours. Amy got us accommodations at Elmer's (which I complained about because I'm an ungrateful jerk. Sorry love (It's okay, honey, I still love you ~The Administrator). We did laundry, drank beer, ate food and now I'm all better.

Zero tomorrow!

Duck Tape goofing













1 comment :

  1. What I remember most about this day is the distress of possibly not getting to stay the night in a bed...I also remember trying to run down a hill to keep up with Mike we wanted to get into town so fast...haha it was a great day filled with milkshakes and a cool hostel that was in an old time looking home. Oh and Mike sneaking M&Ms into bed...I think that this was when I learned that he was truly obsessed with them.

    Day 35: my feet are destroyed. 11 miles in 4 hours...staying at this pretty old house hostel for two nights :) so glad to be resting...definitely using the spa tomorrow. The guys are paying for a ton of stuff...I can't pay them back for all this! Love being in town. Got to do laundry and nap..the guys picked out my hair color so we shall see what happens ;) sooo full. Down to 113
    Saw black dog

    ReplyDelete