Sunday, April 13, 2014

Day 1 (Sunday, April 13th) - Springer to Hawk Mountain Shelter

Today's Miles: 7.90
Trip Miles: 7.90


We started out from the hostel at 8:30 this morning. It takes an hour, a half hour of it is on a narrow switchback road with long drop offs all the way up.There were 14 on the bus, 7 of us started at the Springer Approach. When we got off the bus i asked everyone to face me. I said, " I want to look you all in the face now because all I'm going to see of you from here are your butts." I was right too, they all took off like rabbits.


You have to go south for a mile to reach the plaque. There is a registry there that I promised myself I would sign...I forgot.

The mile to the sign is an easy uphill and the first four miles north were primarily down hill. It's a lot like the Blue Hills in Milton. The pathway was wide enough to walk side by side most of the way and more like a fire road in parts.

We got to a camping area called Three Forks. There were lots of families there out for the day. We started to climb from there. The heat was a bit much and it slowed me down quite a bit. We hiked on to Hawk Mt. Shelter at 8.1 miles out. It was only 2:30 but we were done for the day. We set up our tent, got water and something to eat. Chilling out and waiting for the rain.




1 comment :

  1. I camped at the 2 Wheels Only Campground at Suches a couple of years ago to ride over Blood mountain. Should offer some scenic views on the trail. Good luck, have fun. Sterl-

    ReplyDelete