Thursday, April 24, 2014

Day 12 (Thursday, April 24th) - Rock Gap to Winding Stair Gap

Today's Miles: 3.80 
Trip Miles: 109.80

sunrise heading to Franklin
Mike and Natalie bugged out early to get to Winding Gap, hitch into Franklin, N.C. and secure a room for four. I finished packing up and headed out shortly after.

The hike was short, about four miles. Got to see a beautiful sunrise over the mountains. It was different hiking alone. The only sounds were the bird songs and the wind. Very few trees have leaves on them up here so you can look a long way into the woods. You can see the trail snake it's way out ahead of you. Lots of switchbacks here make the climbs a bit easier.

I got to the gap and started to hitch the ten miles to Franklin. A few cars passed when a young man who was packing up his gear in the parking lot came over and offered me a ride to town. Patrick, his friend Jeff, and their dog had done a short section hike and were heading back to Nashville. Thanks for the lift guys.

Finally caught Ethan (Pantry) at the hotel
By the time I got to the hotel, Mike and Natalie had the room and had already cleaned up for breakfast. I cleaned up quick and we walked to Miss Lois' for a pretty good meal.
Went back to the hotel to wait for Sarah to get in from Nashville. We bumped into Ethan and I finally got a picture of him. He's been the man of mystery, always just out of frame in my pictures. He was going to walk into town for a backpack cover, but we had an extra that was too large for our pack and it fit his. Done deal.

Ethan, who started the trail with eleven days of food, has a bear bag the size of a small refrigerator. He has everything in there which led to his trail name, Golden Pantry, Pantry for short.
Sarah got in around five-thirty and after introductions and delicious chocolate chip cookies she made us, we went out for dinner. Mulligan's Grille for burgers, pulled pork, chicken and veggies. Oh yeah, and a few beers for me.

Natalie and Sarah winding down
Back at the hotel it was decided Amy needed a trail name for all the work she's done on the blog. Whenever I referred to getting things arranged at home I'd say I needed to speak to my Administrator so that was it, The Administrator. Thanks, love! (you're welcome, honey! ^_^)

Sarah says her trail name would be, I Don't Hike. It's nice to have some time with the girl. We'll be shuttling around Franklin on our zero tomorrow getting resupplied for the next few days. Tracy and Wayne are coming into town and we want to catch up with them for some good craic.

TTFN.

Sarah Clara and me

1 comment :

  1. Woke up early that day to hike with Mike into town...hoping, alongside my family, that Mike and John and Sarah were not ax murderers. With a name like Sapphire Inn the hopes were not too high! Mike kept asking me questions along the 4 mile hike to the road...I was trying to pretend my asthma wasn't killing me but finally had to tell him I couldn't talk while hiking up the hill. We crossed a stream on rocks...Mike looked back to watch me cross which I thought was him being nice...turns out that he was hoping to see me fall in!!! Ha! I was pretty nervous at that point hoping the guys were safe after all...but after breakfast and when Sarah arrived I was pretty much feeling that I had found the best people around to hike with. The Sapphire Inn was quite a keeper. Sarah and I had to become friends pretty fast since we shared a bed...hahaha it was a great night.

    Trail notes for the day: Day 20: hitchhiked with mike. Staying in Franklin with them (how am I ok with this??? haha). Hung out at bookstore for a couple of hours. Sarah came over

    "You've been glittered bitch" - Sarah (in reference to I have no idea what)

    "She's an obese slightly slow girl with lice in her leg hair" -Mike (in reference to me)

    ReplyDelete