Saturday, April 26, 2014

Day 14 (Saturday, April 26th) - Winding Stair Gap to Wayah Bald Shelter

Ready to Go! Thanks, Sarah!
Today's Miles: 10.70 
Trip Miles: 119.90

I couldn't wait to get back out on the trail. We had some packing to do and a little more shopping, which had to wait until ten when the stores opened. Sarah got us back out to Winding Stair Gap at eleven, and after Thank you's and goodbyes, we headed up the first of many rises today.

It was warm, and the leafless trees let the sun beat down on us unchallenged. We had only snacked for breakfast and didn't stop except for water, which was scarce, straight through till four when we reached Wayah Bald.

Stone tower, Wayah Bald
At the stone fire tower, we met a couple from Wisconsin who just couldn't believe we had hiked from Georgia, and were flabbergasted to learn we were heading to Maine. Of course, I suggested they read our blog and they said they sure would. We also met Handlebar, who had been at Mulligan's with Wayne, Tracy, and Mike B. He was headed to the shelter as well. He said Tracy and Wayne weren't far behind and they did catch up to us at the shelter.

Taking a break
We finished the hike late for us, at six. After getting water, setting up tents, eating and cleaning up it was almost eight and getting dark. That's when we realized we needed to hang our bear bags. There weren't many suitable trees to hang the bags. We tried tying a line between trees with Mike, then Natalie climbing onto my shoulders to get the line set and hanging from that, but our resupply made the bags too heavy. Finally we found a tree that would work and Mike made a good throw, with our headlamps blazing.

I'm in my sleeping bag now contemplating a fifteen mile day tomorrow. We'll see. Bye for now.
Mikey pointing out our upcoming route
Natalie on Wayah Bald
View from the tower

1 comment :

  1. I felt like I was going to puke this day...I was nervous to go back out on the trail and really sad because I knew how slow I was going to be compared to Mike and John so this was the day I thought would be goodbye...I am so glad that wasn't the case!!!

    Trail notes for the day: Day 22: woke up nervous again to hike...when does that feeling get to go away?? 11 mile hike. One of the worst...I was so tired it wasn't even funny. Mike stayed with me all day even though I was struggling. Asthma was awful. I was beyond tired from no sleep. John was so sweet and got all my water. They want me to stick with them. Took 1.5 to put our bear bag up...hilarious...I love these guys...I really just am in love with their kindness and their loyalty. I hope to keep sticking with them. I can't repay them enough with all they have done from staying with me...sharing food, buying dinners and breakfasts. Mike and I stayed up talking again. Planning in doing 15 tom. So goodnight.

    P.s get cheese that says you don't have to refrigerate it.

    ReplyDelete