Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Day 10 (Tuesday, April 22nd) - Muskrat to Carter Shelter

Today's Miles: 12.50 
Trip Miles: 93.90

In and out of the rain all day. I've got to get new rain gear. The Dri Ducks I bought don't cut it. They're super light, but I get wetter from sweat than I would from the rain. They're not durable at all either. I've punched a hole through one knee and the shoulders are wearing out from the pack straps. Live and learn.

Our hike to Carter Shelter took us over Standing Indian Mountain which looked formidable in the guide at 5,498', but wasn't a bad climb. There were lots of switchbacks to ease the elevation.
We are tenting again tonight with Natalie, Ethan, Ginko, and Garnet Turtle. Two other hikers came in late, Celeste (Acorn) from Bennington Vt., and Dan (Granite) from Nashua, N.H.. Ethan is entering medical school and is hiking to Fontana Dam. Ginko, from Pennsylvania, is attempting a thru and is incredibly knowledgeable about plants and animals. All self-taught because they interest him. When talking to Acorn she told us that her grandfather had studied Ginko trees as part of a research project. How coincidental is that?

I got a fire going despite the drizzle and we sat out for quite a while talking about anything and everything. The younger members of the group stayed up late watching the embers fade.

We oldsters went to bed. Night all.

I got nothing to say

1 comment :

  1. Another day of hoping to be able to keep up with Mike and John.

    Trail notes for the day from me: Day 18: not really so angry anymore...although in a lot of pain.

    Pain got better...loved being with mike and john and Ethan (Richard) and ginkco (Bradley Russell wrage) and Janice. Sat around the fire and talked with Bradley and mike till 1015 just talking and staring at the fire and at the stars. Bradley and I talked about how hard it is out here and his lonely it is...he is really awesome and I hope to keep running into him. Sucks that with all the pain and asthma that I can't go fast enough to keep up with people. I need a 9 mile day and I'm afraid I will miss everyone cause they will go farther than me...successfully spent my first day in the rain :) had the best hiking day yet. Flat and magical with all the short trees :) 12.4 miles today. Right knee was hurting a bit. Man I'm gonna miss mike,john, Ethan and Bradley. Wish I was able to hike with them for a lot longer. God would you be with Bradley (that he'd sleep good)...he's a cool guy. It's been fun seeing Mike open up and cool that we made it on his talk to list. People out here are what make this hike so beautiful...I'm feeling good enough to keep going I think...we will see how far I can go...but I am extremely grateful for these last few days...laughing by the camp fire and talking about crazy things and just hearing peoples lives and stories. These are treasured moments. Oh, tonight I'm sleeping under a tree.

    ReplyDelete