Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Welcome to our 2014 AT Thru Hike Blog



   Mike and are I are nearly done with our preparation and will be heading to Dahlonega, Ga. on Friday the 11th for a start on the 14th. It’s been an interesting journey just to get to this point. There have been lots of decisions to make on gear and clothing, trying to decide when and how to get to Springer Mt., and most importantly, trying to figure out why we’re doing this at all.
   To the last point let me say, I… don’t… know. The idea of thru hiking the AT was never on my mind until after “The Failed Inheritance Hike of 2011.” For those of you who don’t know, the FIH was conceived and plotted by my sons Joe and Mike. It was an attempt to wrest the fortune I have amassed, by getting their hands on my Will. They figured I would surely expire on the still snowy slopes of Mt. Washington in New Hampshire’s White Mountains, June 4th, 2011. But, their plans went awry. Not only did I survive the grueling climb and descent, I liked it. Oh, there were tears and swears, bruised egos and rears, but I did make it back to Pinkham Notch where it was suggested I buy a souvenir shirt that said, “I cried Mt. Washington.” There were none. Fortunately, my wife Amy is a resourceful woman and she made me shirts and coffee mugs with that sentiment printed on them. The days following the FIH were like the days following childbirth, or so I’ve been told; when the pain is forgotten and the joy and beauty of the event are all that can be recalled.
   Many day hikes later, the idea of an AT thru hike crept deeper into my thoughts. I read, “A Walk in the Woods” by Bill Bryson (as had everyone else) and though he didn’t finish his hike, I thought, why not? He was, after all, in bad shape, a desk jockey. I had been working construction for 33 years and was in, all right, I was in so-so shape but, I learned that people from 8 to 80, male, female, physically challenged and whole, had completed thru hikes; so why not me?
   It looked like a cool adventure. I’d hike 2,185 miles in quiet contemplation, ahh. I decided I make a solo attempt at an AT thru. As I read more, I learned that while thousands attempt the thru every year, only hundreds finish. It didn’t seem to matter if you were a novice or a pro as much as it did if you were lucky. A good attitude was more important than good gear.
   Doubts began to swirl in the narrow corners of my head. “Can I do this? Should I even try? My gear sucks, my attitude sucks, and I don’t feel lucky. Do I really want to go it alone?” Fear of failure is a tenacious beast.
     Luckily for me, my son Mike started asking questions about the AT. As he became more interested, I became a little less apprehensive. I don’t remember exactly when he decided he was going with me but, I’m glad he did. Unless of course this is a “Games of Thrones” move to finish what he started on Mt. Washington.
   As our departure got closer I came to an important realization; I had to make starting just as important as finishing. Taking my first step up Springer Mt. will be a success, each step beyond will add to that success and touching the sign on Mt. Katahdin will cap an already successful adventure.
 Well, this is way more than I wanted to burden you with but, it’s done. The next post will be from Dahlonega. They’re predicting rain for our start date, YAY!!!
   P.S.
   I don’t know how much Mike will be willing to contribute to this page but, he’ll be forced into helping his analog Dad through this digital world.
 
I Cried Mt. Washington; all six thousand, two hundred and eighty-eight feet of it

No comments :

Post a Comment