Sunday, December 14, 2014

Day 140 (Saturday, August 30th) - Etna, NH, to Home.

Today's Miles: 5.80
Trip Miles: 1749.00


I'm trying to recall my last day on the trail. I knew early in the day that my knee was not going to get me over the Whites, but I lied to myself that I could at least get to Mt Washington. I hiked out of Hanover, but after only four miles I began to face the truth and decided to head back home.

I can't say that it was a difficult decision, because I think it was the only realistic choice I had. I would have to get home , heal up and resume the hike next year. I hitchhiked from Etna, N.H. to the bus station in White River Junction. The last of my trail angels took me right to the door and made sure I could get a bus back home. Thank you so much!

Reality sucks, so even after getting home and limping around for a few weeks I made one last stab at finishing the hike this year. The Administrator and I hiked up Mt. Cardigan; a six mile, pack-less, moderate hike, but my knee didn't respond very well. The thru-hike attempt was officially over for 2014.

Now, after a couple of months, my knee has finally started to respond to light duty. I sent my Osprey Atmos Backpack back to the company for repair, but it was too far gone; so they shipped me out a new pack. Great service from Osprey! I only wish I could have gotten the old pack back, just for memories sake. I do intend to make some new memories with the new pack.

I've told the Administrator that if I had the chance [that means money] I'd start all over again next March. Believe it or not she said she'd support me if that were to happen. More likely, I'll start over again in 2016.

I can't tell you how much I miss the trail. Even though I'm an extroverted introvert, if that makes any kind of sense, I really enjoyed the people I met both on and off the trail. Especially those off. So many kind and generous people who were truly interested in us and were determined to help us succeed. I tried to thank them every time and I hope they could see how much they all meant to me.

I'm sorry this has been so long in coming, I just didn't want the hike to end; and this ends it.

John and Mike Take a Hike [with Natalie]





1 comment :

  1. Not the end at all! Maybe the end of Chapter One, but the beginning of you knowing can do things you may not have thought you could, leading to all sorts of future excellent adventures!!!

    ReplyDelete